I have not been very productive because of the threats I have faced and the interruptions to my life and my career. Will this negatively affect my application?

Applicants’ risk-status will be taken into consideration. You are also welcome to submit a letter stating the details of your career interruptions and other mitigating factors.

Will my application be held confidential?

Yes. AiE is committed to protecting the identity of its applicants and fellows.

I am currently the recipient of another fellowship. Can I still apply to AiE?

This depends. Please contact AiE to discuss the specifics of your case.

What happens when AiE fellowship funding runs out?

Fellows are encouraged to apply for positions and additional fellowships while supported by AiE. AiE will provide assistance and guidance but cannot guarantee a fellowship renewal.

Do I have to apply for asylum in Germany to apply for a fellowship?


What kind of visa will I get if I receive a fellowship from AiE?

Most Academy in Exile fellows receive a visa for researchers, according to Section 18d of the Residence Act – AufenthG.

For information on researcher visas, see the German Federal Government’s Make it in Germany website.

Will I receive health insurance?

Yes. Under German law, all fellows must be covered by health insurance. Sometimes it is not possible for fellows from non-EU countries to get into the German public health insurance system. In this case, it may be necessary to purchase private health insurance.

Can I return to my home country while on fellowship?

You may not hold an AiE fellowship while living in your home country. These are residential fellowships and fellows are required to be present at their German host institution and to participate regularly in institutional life. Holding an AiE fellowship does not preclude traveling abroad but fellows are obligated to inform AiE if they will be absent for longer than two weeks.

Can I bring my family members?

Spouses, registered partners, and underage children of people with a researcher visa may be entitled to stay in Germany. For more information, see the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research website Bringing your family.

Does AiE provide housing?

No. Prior to arriving in Germany, it is recommended that fellowship recipients arrange temporary accommodation for 2-3 months in order to get a residence permit, open a bank account, and secure health insurance. For further information for researcher at TU Dortmund University, see https://international.tu-dortmund.de/en/en/welcome-services/.

Does AiE provide childcare?

No. However, some assistance may be provided in finding suitable childcare.

I am still in my home country and I don’t know when or how I will be able to leave. Can I still apply for a fellowship?

Yes. Awardees are given a period of three months during which to take up the fellowship in Germany.

I do not speak German. Can I still apply?

Yes. Most AiE fellows take German language classes.

My field is not listed. Can I still apply?

No. AiE concentrates on supporting scholars in the humanities, social sciences, and law.

My partner is also at risk. Can he/she also apply?


As a refugee, where can I find information about studying in Germany?

Please find more information here.